Navigate The Guardianship Process

Once an incapacitated person attains the age of 18 in Pennsylvania, they are deemed legally emancipated. This means that they are considered to be an adult and will be allowed to make their own decisions, regardless of disability issues. Therefore, their safety may be at risk if they are not capable of making wise decisions regarding health and financial issues. In this situation, it's practical for a family member or parents to petition the court to be appointed as a guardian. This means that they will be looking after the loved one with special needs, as well as their estate.

If your special needs child is now considered an adult in Pennsylvania, don't wait any longer to petition the court for guardianship. At my law office, I understand how difficult it can be to pay for court expenses and attorney fees. Hiring a Pittsburgh estate planning attorney who services the western Pennsylvania area can be very important for your case's success. For this reason, my attorney fees are discounted, keeping special needs families' costs down.

How Can A Lawyer Help Establish Guardianship?

When you meet with me to begin the legal process of gaining guardianship, I will review your special needs child's social services documents and guardian questionnaire. Any legal research that must be performed for your specific case will be handled in a timely and efficient manner. Once I have reviewed any social service reports, school reports, doctor's and/or psychiatrist's reports, as well as reviewed the information which you provided to me in the guardian questionnaire I will ask you to complete, I will file the guardianship petition and the remaining ancillary documents needed.

I understand the different elements needed to secure guardianship for parents, relatives or other appropriate parties. I offer a wide range of services, including:

  • I prepare and serve all of the required notices, ensuring all interested parties are aware of the guardianship petition and of any scheduled hearings.
  • When it comes to scheduling a hearing with the court, I will file the motions or documents needed to secure a date as soon as possible.
  • Once you have been appointed as guardian, you will need to file an inventory of all of the assets titled to the alleged incapacitated person with the court, including subsequent annual accountings of their estate and of their person.

Filing all these forms in a timely matter is very important to ensure the continuation of your appointment as guardian. It will also be necessary for me to consult with the loved one's doctor or physician and to take their deposition.

Contact A Qualified Attorney Today

If you have any more questions about the legal requirements for guardianship or petitioning, please contact my law office online or call 412-637-2596 and schedule a complimentary initial consultation.